For example, as England, you might get Robin Hood, a hero longbowman with 20 instead of 13 combat strength and a "treats forests as roads". When he gets killed, you get 100 culture, so you're encouraged to use him rather than keep him back.
It's quite a bit of work coming up with heroes for every civ. They can be real or fictional, people or vehicles. Ideas so far:
- France: Joan of Arc, longswordsman with 35 instead of 21 combat strength. 100 faith on death.
- Russia: Tsar Bomba, atomic bomb with a blast radius of 4 instead of 2. 300 science on death, er, detonation.
- Germany: The Red Baron, triplane with strength 70 and interception 100. 200 culture on death.
- Ottoman: Şahi topu, cannon with strength 35 instead of 20. 150 culture on death.
- Japan: Yamato, battleship with ranged strength 100 instead of 65. 250 culture on death.
- Spain: Hernán Cortés, conquistador with combat strength 40 instead of 20. 100 faith on death.
- Greece: Helepolis, siege tower with combat strength 20 instead of 12. 100 culture on death.